Monday, August 20, 2012

She Loves Me....She Loves Me Not

Do I or don't I?  I don't know!  I loved the idea of doing a graphic on the front of this little antique dresser.  I think I will just take you through my journey of blood, sweat, and tears with her.

She started out like this....


Simple, clean lines with a little detail which happened to be a groove all the way around the edge of the drawers.  This got me thinking.....I love French Typography and I thought this would be the perfect dresser to try it out on....

I asked a friend if I could borrow his projector because it just hooked up to my laptop and I thought it would be easier than trying to print off my graphic on a clear sheet and then trying to get an overhead projector.  Well, 6 hours later I finally had the dang thing set up with the image the way I wanted it on the dresser.....except when I tried to trace the image my big, fat head was in the way the whole time!  That was fun...and my paint pen kept going dry, so I switched to a sharpie (which I've read dozens of others have used successfully!), only to find out that when I went to distress the graphic the paint came off and left blue lines from the black sharpie....nice!  And, the paint from the pen smeared and smudged all over and I had to spend the whole next day sanding off the gray...nice!  By this time I was ready to throw it over the railing of my deck!  I finished it, clear coated it, took pictures of it, and then stood back and looked at it and decided I hated it!!  

Here she is with the french graphic...
Now, you may think this looks ok, but trust me when I say it did not!   It just looked dirty, and "dirty" is not really what I was after. ;)  I suppose the idea was great in theory, but if I am ever brave enough to try this again I will.....oh, who am I kidding?  I will NEVER try this again.  (Or maybe it's like childbirth and after a while you forget how painful the experience was and give it another go--who knows?!)

Well, I still wanted a graphic, so I chose something much simpler.  I won't bore you with all the details (again!) but it did not go as I planned either and I realized I could have finished 5 normal dressers in the time it took me to do this one! 

I'm still not sure how I feel about it, so I need your opinions (but, please remember I do have feelings!).

If the consensus is not good then I will just paint it white and call it good!

Here she is now:



I can't even talk about it at this point so I will just post the rest of the pics. :)































I really like this part. :)




4 comments:

  1. This might not be what you want to hear.....I love the typography. The other one is nice, but I'm pinning the first. I'm sorry that this dresser was such a pain, I've been through a couple of pains. Try another one, I'd love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it both ways, though the first did look REALLY cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karyn--I would have loved the typography, too, if it hadn't smeared all over and looked so bad when I was done. have you ever done something like that? And, if so, what did you use to do the writing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how you have it now. Very clean and simple looking. If I had room for it, I'd buy it!!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3