Saturday, October 6, 2012

Lamp Shade Update

I bought a new lamp for my shop to stage my pieces.  It came with a cute little red shade, but I wanted it to be a little more versatile.  I bought another cheap shade at Walmart and gave it a little update. 

Sorry if the pics are a little hard to see.  The lighting in the kitchen isn't so great right now because half the bulbs are burned out and, of course, I'm waiting for someone else to notice and change them.  Ha!  ;)

 Before
Basic shade.  Think it was a little under $5




 I laid out my fabric and, starting close to the edge, rolled the shade around while tracing an inch from the top and bottom.  If there is a pattern on your fabric that has to face a certain way make sure you pay attention to that when you are placing the shade.   Your pattern should look something like this.  




 Then I used seam tape (the kind you use with your iron--no sewing here folks!) to finish off the edge that would be showing.




 Can I just say that I love this stuff!  I use it for everything!  I lightly sprayed the fabric (it gets sticky EVERYWHERE, so make sure you cover your space with paper), and then rolled the lamp shade along the fabric and smoothed out any wrinkles.  








 This is what it will look like with the unfinished edges.  I used my hot glue gun to run a bead of glue around the inside edge and then tucked the fabric under the rim of the shade.  I trimmed the fabric fairly close to the edge so there wasn't a lot of extra fabric on the inside of the shade. 




 Then I added my embellishments.  You could use so many cute things!  Loved these flowers--I found them in the scrapbooking section at Hobby Lobby.  



I love it's new look!  There are so many possibilities and just for a few bucks! :)





 

2 comments:

  1. Really cute! I love a good lamp shade make over, they are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how absolutely adorable this is! It actually makes my heart skip a beat!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3