Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Mid-Century Bookcase

  When it comes to furniture I like what I like.  That happens to be lots of curves and details.  You know, bells and whistles. :) 

One thing I like about doing what I do is being forced getting the opportunity to move outside of my comfort zone. I'm not a huge fan of mid century furniture, and this is NOT going to be a post about me being converted either. ;)  I'm just not a simple, straight lines kind of gal. 

BUT, this little bookshelf did grow on me.  I must admit, it does have a cute little shape and paint did wonders for it.  

Are you wondering why it looks like this?  Well, it fell out of the car on the way to my house!  Not my car!  I totally had nothing to do with it (for once)!  :)  I guess the back door wasn't closed all the way, so when he turned the corner it slid right out of the car onto the road!  It's nothing a little wood glue and a few clamps couldn't fix, so we're all good. 



Before




 After


I love this charcoal color.  It's modern and upscale and a little softer than black.  

By the way, when I dusted the floor with a damp cloth the water froze as a film over the floor because it's still so stinking cold here-still below zero!!  I endured frozen fingers, again!, for these pics. ;)

It's actually going to be used to house a kaleidoscope collection.  How fun is that!  She opted to keep the back white to really show them off (and her husband hated the idea of turquoise, haha).



I love these simple antique silver knobs, and I found them at my local hardware store.  Can't beat that! 













color = Sealskin by Sherwin Williams

Linked up here:
Saturday:

Sunday: 

Monday:

Tuesday:

Wednesday:

Thursday:

Friday:




11 comments:

  1. Mid Century is growing on me and sells well to young people. I love the grey color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job. It looks great - I don't have any mid-century modern pieces but I see the attraction to it.
    Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, you made it into a beautiful piece of furniture...love that paint color~!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing. Everything you do turns into a magical perfect stunning piece. What an eye and vision you have - truly talented. I need you in Ohio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there - I'm new to your blog. Found you through Green Willow Pond. This piece of furniture is now absolutely gorgeous. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything about this...color, lines, knobs...everything! Thanks for sharing! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! I love the kaleidoscope plan. :) I never thought I was into mid-century, but I found a desk/hutch at a garage sale for $12, so guess what...I bought it. It's in GREAT condition too! Except I might have hit a couple spots just a little too hard with the orbital sander. :/ Oops. Live and learn. I do love it though. Someday when I have actual trim in my house, I'll give it a makeover and bring it upstairs to live. :)

    xoxo
    -andi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS...love your new banner! Too bad I can't join your site again...I'd be #300. =D

      Delete
  8. I too like the older pieces with curves and carving and character, but I have to agree this piece turned out fantastic! Love the subltly curved drawers and the color. Thank you for sharing it at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a happy Valentines Day! ~Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great piece! I love it charcoal gray. I'm featuring it in next week's PoPP Spotlight.

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3