Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Oak Tables in Tuscan Red

These oak tables are a custom order from a good friend of mine.  She said they were old and outdated and needed some help!  We all have a piece of outdated oak in our home somewhere.  I can't tell you how many people I talk to that say they were just going to throw them away.  

STOP
 right there if you are one of them.  I promise you can "fix" them with a little paint and stain and they will be magazine worthy again! psst...at only a fraction of the cost of buying new! 




 BEFORE
This is one of four.  You can see the other three lurking in the top left corner. ;)


She wasn't exactly sure what she wanted so we talked about the colors in her home, I gave her a few options (with the one I hoped she'd pick, lol), and she decided on Tuscan Red (the one I hoped she'd pick, yea!).  


 AFTER

I've played with reds a lot over the last 3 years and just have never found one I was completely in love with until I met Tuscan Red from General Finishes.  It's not too orange, it's not too blue, and it has great depth.  It's very versatile and looks amazing with a wide variety of other colors. 

I have to give a shout out to General Finishes here, too, because their products are simply amazing.  I've used a LOT of paint over the past few years, and, honestly, GF is my favorite.  The coverage is incredible, the colors are yummy, and the finish is silky smooth.  I promise you won't be disappointed if you give them a try.  











 I updated the hardware with these simple antique silver pulls instead of using the big wooden knobs that were original to the piece. They make a huge difference (just changing out the hardware on a piece of furniture and can totally change the look and feel of it).



 Oak is kind of a bugger to stain dark, but this is another reason I love GF Java Gel.  Two coats and she's a beauty again (bye bye 80's). 









Moral of the story?  Don't give up on those 80's oak pieces just yet!  A few hours and a few products and you can have yourself a brand new piece of furniture! 


5 comments:

  1. Love, love, love LOVE!! I know I've said this a thousand time, but I AM going to make over my Grandma's buffet, and I finally decided on red (your first Tuscan Red piece inspired me!). BUT...our dealer didn't have TR, but they did have Brick Red, and I loved that too, and I think it was closer to the red I was looking for anyway. We'll see. It's slated for its makeover this Spring. Thanks so much for all your wonderful inspiration! And perspiration!!! I've never met a Lisa Project I didn't like!!

    xoxo
    -andi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're finally going to do it! It will look amazing in red and you will be so happy with the finish you get with GF. I can't wait to see it!!! Have I told you lately that I think you're awesome? You are. 😘

      Delete
  2. I would have to second that opinion, such a fantastic job on that console table. It looks like it oughta now. Great choice. The top is gorgeous with the red.
    Is that your son in photo on table? If so he's a handsome devil. If he's not your son he's still handsome. How old is that handsome boy? I miss my boys when they were still young. Have 2 boys 16 months apart and so different in personality. Have 2 girls also, 10 years apart, they're oldest and youngest of our tribe.
    Can hardly wait to see what you do with those other tables. I've never used General Finishes, really good to now it's a good paint, hard to tell if have to order it online.
    Our son in law is a professional painter (of walls, etc.) daughter bought a dining set at our local thrift store for $30 when they first moved here (Grand Junction, CO area) and he gel stained whole set, oh my is it ever gorgeous, looks lot more expensive than $30. I'd say it's late 60's, maybe early 70's style but so pretty. She found a buffet/hutch at a furniture store for $200 that matches the dining set finish. She recovered chair seats then made curtains that match seats. SIL did a faux finish on all walls in house before they moved in, still looks outstanding and has been about 9 yrs.
    Hope you have great rest of week. Are you enjoying Spring where you live? Hope so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) Yes, that handsome boy is mine about 7 years ago. He's just as handsome now. :). Thank you for sharing a bit about yourself with me! :)

      Delete

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3