Friday, May 1, 2015

Antique Headboard to Bench in Antique White

I bought this headboard and foot board at an auction last summer.  I'm not usually one to let projects sit around, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to leave it as a headboard or convert it into a bench.  BUT, converting into a bench required the skill of my handy hubby and he's busy...all the time. ;)

So, there it sat.  I was in our storage unit a few weeks ago and was reminded of it again and thought it was time to get this particular project done.  Craig agreed to work his magic and started putting it together for me.  It was a little trickier because I wanted to use the foot board for the sides, but the foot board was curved on the ends (which makes it awesome, but tricky).  It's a good thing he knows what he's doing though and he made it all work.

On the last bench we did together I had people asking me for instructions on how to do it.  Please don't ask.  I have no clue.  He made supports all the way around for the seat to sit on and screwed it all together.  That's about all I can tell you. ;)




 BEFORE (kind of)






 AFTER

I love that it's simple, but the curved fronts make it so special.  I chose Antique White from General Finishes because it's rather tall and I was afraid going dark with it would make it look like a beast.  The original finish on it was amazing, lots of bumps and alligator skin, so I chose to do the white, heavily distress it, and then dark wax it to bring out all that texture. 

I also have to tell you the bleed through was absolutely terrible.  I had to do about 5 coats of shellac.  Ugh!


I found the fabric at JoAnn's and just love it.  













It's not perfect but it's amazing! 



12 comments:

  1. Oh, boy is it ever amazing! You and your hubby make a great team and did a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH EM GEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lisa, this is just incredible!
    I'm sharing this beauty off all over the place. What a gorgeous and unique piece! You really topped yourself, which is hard to believe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic repurpose, Lisa! Absolutely lovely work by you and your handy hubby! Sorry about that bleed....you just never know... but it sure does look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not perfect??!!! I think it is and then some! I LOVE this bench. Wow you two work miracles, I tell ya.

    Absolutely gorgeous piece, Lisa!!!! Love love love this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Job !! I I Re-purpose many Head Boards into Benches. This is a fine job..

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing! So beautiful and I love that fabric! Great job! Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so super-cool. Craig certainly gets 2 thumbs up for his role in this phenom. :P

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh but it is perfect! And amazing! Beautiful! I can’t wait to find just the right headboard! I’ve been wanting one of these for a very long time now!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3